Expand the limits of your growing season and grow your crop options
when you learn to design and build your own greenhouse
that’s powered by the heat of the sun!
In this six part video series (with 2+hours of professional footage), engineer & ecologist Rob Avis travels over 500 kms from the Canadian Rockies to the Alberta prairies to visit five different Passive Solar greenhouses (PSGHs). He shares learnings and provides commentary on what has worked well, and not so well from a design and growing perspective.
Four Season Community PSGH in the Canadian Rockies: The Groundswell Network Society greenhouse is run by a not-for-profit and operates year around in the Canadian Rockies with no supplemental heating. We’ll take you on a tour of this impressive facility, and discusses it’s innovative technology and set up.
An 800 sqft High School Geodesic PSGH: We explore how this High School in the Alberta prairies heats their dome-shaped greenhouse with a Climate Battery – a subterranean heating & cooling system that warms the soil and circulates the air. They grow fish in an aquaponics system among other things (such as bananas!).
PSGH Connected to Private Residence in Invermere, British Columbia: We interviewed the owner of this brand new high-performance residence and discuss the benefits and challenges of attaching a greenhouse to the building walls of his home, the unique glazing he chose to use as well as ways of harvesting energy from the home to keep this greenhouse in production even when it is minus 20 degrees outside!
Verge Permaculture’s 200 sqft Detached Urban PSGH: In this two part, extended video, Rob speaks candidly about the design successes and flaws of his own urban greenhouse. Michelle also talks about the rewards and challenges of growing in an enclosed environment.
Successful and Profitable Microgreens Operation PSGH: Curtis Stone, Author of The Urban Farmer, talks about the 900 sqft greenhouse he owns and operates in his backyard where he produces $50,000 per year in product, with the ability to expand to up to $300k per year.
Rob Answers Questions Such As….
- What are some tested and true design principles for these styles of greenhouses?
- What are some glazing options & how do I set the glazing angle?
- Once I’ve captured the sun’s warmth in my greenhouse, what are some ways to keep it there?
- How can I heat my greenhouse for minimal (or zero) energy costs?
- What do I need to consider if I’d like to connect my greenhouse to my house? How do I do it properly?
And also discusses…
- What works (and doesn’t!) when it comes to ventilation
- General design considerations such as optimizing the glazing angle
- Unique and innovative ways to capture and store heat (including four different types of solar energy collection and two types of thermal energy storage)
- How to harvest waste energy and turn it into a resource for your greenhouse
- The benefits of growing directly in the soil / subsoil vs raised and disconnected garden beds
- What kind of opportunities and challenges exist when it comes to greenhouse growing
And much, much more!!
TRAILERS FOR THIS SERIES:
When you register in an E-Course or webinar, you will be prompted to create a login account on our site and will receive an email confirmation with a direct link to our Student Dashboard page.
Alternatively, simply visit the url: https://vergepermaculture.ca/student-dashboard/.
Note that you will be prompted to Login to the website in order to view any material you have access to.
Accessing our E-courses and associated online material is easy. If you’ve played a video on your computer from Youtube or Vimeo before, then you’ve got all you need participate!
BUT TO BE MORE SPECIFIC, WE RECOMMEND:
- A desktop or laptop computer
- An up-to-date internet browser (Internet Explorer 8.0 or above, Firefox 2.0 or above, or Safari 3.0, or Chrome 4.0 or above)
- A broadband internet connection (for a reliable viewing experience at medium quality we recommend a downstream connection speed of at least 400-700 Kbps. You can test your connection speed here)
IF YOUR COURSE INCLUDES LIVE WEBINARS:
We use an online platform called Zoom for our live webinars. It is similar to Skype, but simpler. All you need to join (from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android) is to click on a url that we will provide to you on the Student Dashboard.
Don’t have high speed internet? You can also call in via phone, but note that toll rates may apply.
You’ll have the ability to post comments or questions on every video included in the Passive Solar Greenhouse Case Study e-course.
We will do our best to respond, but unfortunately can make no guarantees.
We’ve put no immediate time limit on your access to this video series. We also plan to add more case studies in the near future, and will send you an email when we do so!