What does permaculture look like in real life?
Nestled in southeast Calgary is one of the city’s original thriving permaculture projects – our previous home!
As engineers and long-time permaculture designers and teachers, we’ve traveled the world to learn about sustainable and regenerative human habitat and have implemented many of these concepts on our property. We spent 10 years transforming our inner-city home into a permaculture demonstration site and are proud to show you what we did!
Take A Virtual Tour of Our Urban Property!
Mini-Documentary About the Avis Urban Permaculture Homestead
This 3 part video tour of our site includes explanations of our:
• Thriving food forest complete with fruit trees, bushes and tons of edible/medicinal perennials
• Passive solar greenhouse with rocket mass heater
• Water harvesting systems
• Energy-efficient house retrofits
• Composting systems
• Handmade cob oven
• Solar-powered water heater
• And mega-productive veggie gardens (with wicking beds and swales)!