Below I have put together a video about a tool that every designer should be familiar with. It is called a solar pathfinder. I use this tool in almost every consultancy that I do and it not only impresses the clients when I pull it out, it gives you amazing data instantly about the solar resource for the property that you are designing.
I love this tool for multiple reasons:
- It is great for analysing sun and shade
- It is easy and quick to use
- It is great for placing gardens, food forests, orchards, greenhouses and hammocks
- It speeds up the observation process
- You can get a solar analysis for the whole year at any time of the year at any time of day
- It does not require batteries
- It works all over the world
- You can get software for it that will produce professional photo voltaic and solar thermal reports detailing how much power or heat can be generated from a specific panel in a specific location on your home
My Take on the Solar Pathfinder
How to Use the Solar Pathfinder
Showing 2 comments
Yes, the Solar Pathfinder has been around in the solar industry for a couple decades at least. It’s prime purpose is to evaluate shading. I have never used one, but I have seen them used. I myself have a Solmetric SunEye ($3000), which does this all electronically, accurately and very quickly.
Howell Mayhew Engineering
Thanks for the comment Gordon!