Essential Rainwater Harvesting
A guide to home-scale system design
Water is a crucial resource increasingly under stress. Yet rainfall, even in arid climates, can make up a sizable portion of any home, acreage, or farm’s water requirements if harvested and utilized with care. The key is high-quality site-specific design and sensible maintenance.
Essential Rainwater Harvesting is a comprehensive manual for designing, building, and maintaining water harvesting systems for the warm and cold climates of the world.
Presenting design considerations and approaches for the most common household rainwater supply scenarios – primary, supplemental, and off-grid supply – this step-by-step approach covers:
- Planning for full-property water security
- Guidance on navigating regulatory requirements
- Templates for building your own spreadsheet-based calculation tool
- Site-specific planning and spatial layout
- Materials and component design and selection
- System maintenance and upkeep.
Accurate, precise, and detailed…buy one for yourself and it will be useful for all future generations.
Go to it! Become a rainwater harvester! Embrace your downpipes and filtration systems! And all the while with this brilliant book stuffed into your back pocket.
A science-based approach that should help get your system set up and educate policymakers with the most recent research.
A crucial reference for design work. Accessible and quick to reference yet as thorough as one could ever need on the subject.
Unique, with all the tools being provided for the calculations and explained clearly as well as fantastic advice on best location, materials selection, and plumbing connections.
With it's most up to date information and clarity of presentation, this book can help anyone become an effective water designer. Homeowners, professionals, and activists will all find it an essential companion to assist them as they begin to catch volumes of unappreciated water, and convert it instead into endless abundance.
Incorporating the latest independent research, this practical resource provides DIYers, trades, and rainwater practitioners with the essential tools, methods, and technical know-how to design, confidently build, and maintain rainwater harvesting systems that produce quality water without necessarily needing end-of-line disinfection or sterilization.
Essential Rainwater Harvesting Tool
The feasibility stage of designing a rainwater-harvesting system is about evaluating your project and selecting the size(s) of your roof and storage containers to best meet your needs for the least possible cost.
In Essential Rainwater Harvesting: A Guide To Home-Scale System Design (book), we provide you with the step-by-step instructions and templates to build your own simple rainwater harvesting calculation tool, using any spreadsheet software.
However, our Essential Rainwater Harvesting Tool is a pre-built spreadsheet tool that contains beautifully formatted tables, the formulas and logic presented in the book, plus a substantial number of more advanced features. It is pre-programmed and ready-to-go.
Advanced Features Include
- User-friendly interface
- Select between metric or US customary units
- Choice of monthly timestep or a daily timestep
- Contains a pre-loaded rainfall dataset for all major US and Canadian cities / weather stations.
- Contains pre-loaded indoor water fixture water usage patterns and manufacturer ratings for determining demand calculations.
- Ability to select /change the commission month during tank optimizing.
- Ability to define drought commencement month and rain reduction due to drought on a monthly basis.
- Printable summary page.
- And much more!
System / Software / Usage Requirements
- Requires Microsoft Excel (Windows) or Excel for Mac
- The tool follows the process described in Essential Rainwater Harvesting (book). It is highly recommended that you have a copy of the book for reference purposes while using the tool.
- Internet access is required to access the video tutorials provided in the Essential Rainwater Harvesting Toolkit.
During checkout, you’ll be asked to agree to terms & conditions of this purchase. Preview the terms and conditions here.