Position: Verge Permaculture Farm Intern
The impact of urbanization and increasing demand for food, water and land presents society with the task of bridging the gap between climate change, the biological world, environmental concerns and conventional/industrial agriculture. At Verge Permaculture, we are whole-heartedly focussed on addressing these issues in an ethical, principled, and science-based manner, and we are seeking an Permaculture Farm Intern to support us in doing so.
As our Permaculture Farm Intern, you’ll be directly involved in numerous activities related to developing infrastructure that will help us to produce our farm-based products using permaculture design and sustainable agriculture practices. A significant portion of your tasks will be construction-related and require physical labour. Some of the projects that we have on our radar include such things as: installing fencing, digging trenches and installing water infrastructure (including a solar pump), laying out corrals, helping to build swales / dugouts / ponds, and more. Other tasks we may throw at you will be varied and may include: production planning, planting, management and harvesting of fruits and vegetables in our brand new state-of-the-art low-carbon 800 square foot passive solar greenhouse; assisting in the development of a market garden; development and implementation of a holistic grazing plan; marketing of our farm products through the Verge Farm Store; planting and development of a several acre orchard of mixed fruits and berries; and more.
Start date: ~ June 1st, 2021
End Date: ~ December 15th, 2021
Hours per week: 40
Location: Yeoford, Alberta
Salary & Benefits:
37,000 – 50,000 annual salary depending on the skills and qualifications of the successful candidate.
- Onsite accommodation is provided for.
- Professional development opportunities, such as courses in permaculture design and/or advanced trainings will be included.
To qualify, you must:
- Be between the ages of 15 and 30 inclusive
- Be unemployed or underemployed
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident of Canada or a refugee under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
- Have a valid driver’s license
- Be physically fit and able to perform physical labour.
Other qualifications / skills that we will be looking for:
- Building / carpentry skills / framing / fence building experience
- Keen interest in permaculture design
- High degree of self-motivation and passion
- Ability to self-start, see work, and anticipate forthcoming tasks
- High level of honesty, openness, and empathy
- Outstanding interpersonal skills
- Ability to work as a team player and team leader
- Infectious enthusiasm
Verge Permaculture (Verge) is an internationally recognized and award-winning permaculture design company in Alberta, spearheaded by engineers, farmers and husband and wife team, Rob & Michelle Avis. Since 2010, they have taught permaculture, sustainable agriculture, soil regeneration and agro-ecology to more than 5,000 students. Leading designer/consultant Geoff Lawton describes Verge Permaculture as “one of North America’s premier permaculture design and education companies.” In 2020, Verge Permaculture moved its headquarters to a 160 acre research farm located in central Alberta where they practice, experiment with, and teach regenerative agriculture techniques.
Upload your resume / CV and cover letter as one file by clicking on the button below before May 20th to be considered. Please use the following naming convention when uploading:
NOTE: only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.